Friday, May 8, 2009

all is well.

we had our long (almost 3 hour long) first ob appointment today. it was great seeing liz the p.a. again (she's the first person we met with when we were pregnant with anthony - ahhh, seems like forever ago). we went over our history and any changes that have occured over the past 3.5 years since having tony (my mom's stent placement in her heart, my dad's prostate cancer, and of course, more recently my sister's abruption with oliver...wow, we had a lot happen).

a lot of things have changed in regards to testing since we had tony. we went without the "triple screen" testing with tony...something they don't do any longer. since then they went to a "quad screen" and now an "nt scan". we opted to do the nt scan as it has a much better accuracy rate than the other tests did with not as a great a false positive rate. we will have this special ultrasound and blood-draws done at 12 weeks (6/5) so a little less than a month away. we aren't too concerned that we'll have any markers for downs syndrome, trisomy 18, spina bifida and such as we don't have family histories of these problems, but it will be nice to rule it out, and, god forbid, if we found out there was a problem, we'd know how to better plan for it.

no ultrasound today (as i was just in tuesday) but that was fine. after hearing the strong heartbeat on tuesday and seeing the baby, i was ok with that. liz did say i could come in as often as i want given the freshness of what occured with my sister. i took her up on the offer and i will go in 2 weeks from today on 5/22 for a heart rate check on the doppler, and if they can't find it as it still could be early on the doppler, i will automatically get an ultrasound...comforting. then it will be back in 2 weeks for the nt scan. we are going to take it one office visit at a time in regards to how often i am there. i think after the next two visits i will try to just be a "normal" pregnant woman, but we'll see how much my nerves change towards the end and approaching the time when my sister had her problems...they might just see me every day...which she assured me was fine. god i love my dr's office!

i do have to do a 24-hour urine collection. i had to do these weekly with anthony during my last 2 months of pregnancy as my blood pressure was borderline pre-eclampsia. they wanted to do a baseline test to determine where my blood pressure is now, so they have something to compare it to should it rise later on. they didn't have this to go by the last time. bood pressure check today was fine, but they just want to check the proteins to make sure they aren't starting to elevate.

we met with dr. dougherty again today...his first day at the practice was the day i was induced with anthony. he was with us all day tuesday and into wednesday only for an hour before i delivered tony, his shift ended and he ended up not delivering him. it is a constant joke that we "worked him hard" that day with no reward. he said that i should go much quicker and on my own this time around...i asked him to put that in writing...he wouldn't...so i'm taking it for what it's worth, but you better bet i am going to try to hold him to it!

ok, now i think i'm done. this post got rather long, and if you're still with me...thanks for waiting out my rambling!

i'm hoping for a pretty quiet and uneventful few weeks until my next appointment. have a great weekend everyone!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that things are going well. I think the frequency of appointments will help the time pass for you. I never thought 9 months was a long time until I was pregnant! It feels like forever! I'm looking forward to ready about your baby over the next several months and then meeting him or her in person. I'm so excited for you, and I'm glad your doctor's office is so great! BTW - what practice do you go to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE Liz! Gosh do I miss her...and I still feel super guilty for changing practices for Kara's pregnancy. I ran into Liz in the DOB hallway when I was about 7 months preggos and I thought she was going to fall over (because she had no clue I was expecting again)!! I tried to visit her a few months ago but it was her day off...she has yet to meet Kara and hasn't seen Ryan in over a year. I need to get in to say Hi!

    I am also VERY excited for you! This baby is truly a blessing from above and we can't wait to spoil him/HER...so here's to the next 7 months flying by! :)

    Can't wait for the next update!

    Happy Mother's Day, Christy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm, hello!!! You're PREGNANT?! I go off and have a baby and forget to check my pwp blogs and I totally missed the big news!! Congrats!!! So excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Kara over there, they all so nice to begin with. I saw Liz alot when i was pregnant with #1

    ReplyDelete